Frequently Asked Questions
How do I sign up?
- SUP/Kayak Trips: Call - 904-645-7003
- SUP/Kayak Lessons: Call - 904-645-7003
- SUP Yoga Classes: Visit - supjax.com
- SUP Group Classes (meetup.com): Visit -
- Kayak Group Classes (meetup.com): Visit - kayakjax.com
- Custom SUP/SUP Yoga/Kayak Group Classes: Call - 904-645-7003
What is the difference between a Custom group class and a meet-up group class?
- With a custom group lesson, you schedule yourself with a group of friends/family/co-workers by calling Black Creek Outfitters at 904-645-7003 and everything is custom to your groups needs.
- Meet-ups (SUPjax.com or Kayakjax.com) are pre-scheduled events, where as custom group lessons are not and you must call or email to schedule.
- Meet-ups have a similar framework for class duration and teacher:student ratio to custom group classes, however you sign up on the Meet Up website (SUPjax.com or Kayakjax.com)
What is the participant size and difference between a group lesson and a private lesson?
- A group lesson has 5-15 students
- A private lesson has 2-5 students.
How long does a class or lesson last for and what is difference between a group lesson and a private lesson?
- A group lesson lasts for about 75 minutes
- A private lesson is approximately 3 hours long.
What do I need to bring with me for a SUP or kayak lesson or Group Class?
- Come prepared to get wet (if you were going to the beach)
- Please dress accordingly
- Swimsuit or quick dry apparel
- You may also want to bring a small snack and water
DO YOU NEED YOUR OWN BOARD/KAYAK FOR CLASSES, LESSONS, OR THE OFF SITE TRIPS?
- You do not need your own equipment. We will provide everything you need. However, if you do have your own board/kayak you are welcome to bring it!
Which Waiver do I complete and bring the day of?
- Waivers for paddling on the lake or at one of our events can be found here: http://blck.us/BCO-waiver
- It is not required to bring a waiver for the day of, unless a minor is participating on the lake or at an event without their legal guardian on site.
- For adults participating, waivers can also be completed on site on the day of the event.
How do I recieve a reciept and confirmation for attending a Group Class?
- After RSVPing on the Meet-up website (SUPJax.com or KayakJax.com)...
- If you have called the store at 904-645-7003 to complete your registration by making a payment a receipt can be emailed to you if requested or a receipt can also be received on the day of the class.
- If your payment was made online through the link in the Meet-up Event Description a confirmation/receipt will be emailed to you once the online process is complete.
HOW DO I RECIEVE A RECIEPT and CONFIRMATION FOR ATTENDING A Private GROUP CLASS or lesson?
- If you have called the store to set up a custom group lesson, trip, or private lesson and have made a payment a receipt/confirmation will be emailed to you.
If I have never paddle boarded or Kayaked before is it okay for me to come to any of the classes offered? Or are some of them a higher level class?
- Currently all of the classes listed on the website are catered to the first time paddler or beginner student.
- We can teach teach advanced paddlers, but those classes are specific and available upon request.
How do we find out if a class or lesson is cancelled?
- For Private Lessons and Custom Group Classes we will call you at least 24 hours in advance if we need to cancel.
- For SUP Yoga and SUP Classes, check the meet up group SUPJax.com. You may also call the shop at 904-645-7003.
- For Kayak Classes, check the meet up group KayakJax.com. You may also call the shop at 904-645-7003.
If I have a group, can we choose a location for the trip?
- Yes, we cater to your needs and wants! Give us a call and we can work with you on what you and your group is looking to do. 904-645-7003
How do I get SUP Yoga certified?
- Black Creek Guides provide Sup Yoga Certifications through the American Canoe Association (ACA).
- We recommend getting three separate certifications.
- A yoga certification (Yoga Alliance)
- An ACA SUP Instructor Certification
- Then a SUP Yoga Endorsement with the ACA.
- Info on yoga certifications can be found through your local yoga studio. Our yoga instructors are E-RYT Licensed and have a 200 hr Teacher Training Certification for yoga.
- For more information on getting SUP certified, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We believe it is very important to get SUP certified if you are teaching any SUP activity on the water.
Which SUP certification courses do you offer?
- We offer WPA (World Paddle Association) and ACA (American Canoe Association) certification courses. For more information on getting SUP certified, email email@example.com.
Which SUP certification should I take?
- The WPA course is a one day course that offers only a Level-1 certification with a passing grade.
- The ACA course is three day course offering Level-1 and Level-2 certification with a passing grade. You are not guaranteed a certification at the end of the course if you do not meet the requirements. Because the ACA course is longer, more information and skills are covered.
How long does the ACA Instructor Certification Workshop (ICW) course last?
- All full day go from 8:30AM-5:30PM
- A Level 1-2 ICW goes for 3-4 full days depending on the course
- A Level 1 ICW goes for 2-3 full days depending on the course
- A Level 3 Surf SUP goes for 2 full days
NOTE: If your questions pertain to the Meet-up group (ex: cancelations or locations), please look/post there for the answers.